Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Beaded Collars...or rather Bibs.

Earlier this year I created several beaded collars...projects that I had been thinking about for quite some time.I had great fun working up the color scheme in  these collars.  The larger collar is a magnificent piece to wear and has the impression of Egyptian fashion.  I imagine how grand Cleopatra must have felt wearing those wonderful beaded collars, sipping fine wine!  I started out with a beautiful but bright Purple Sea Sediment Jasper.  I decided I did not want to play up the bright Purple and focus on all the complimentary tones found in the stone.  I added some vintage glass cabochons and pearl to give a sheen to the collar at various places.

The two smaller collars were a bit more difficult primarily due to the small space.  At their widest point, the collar is not quite 2 inches.  I did not want to have the space on each side of the center cabochons to be boring and so after pondering various ideas I cam up with the final designs.  The lighter collar has a small, teardrop cabochon of Ocean Jasper.  I love Ocean Jasper and all it's variations.  It will often have circulars shapes indicating something bubbled up from the deep ocean floor and solidified! I had to work at keeping the Ocean Jasper collar light and white.  I rarely use white in my beaded pieces so this was a challenge.  The animal print type beading just happened, I did not start out with a plan on how to fill space.  I love the way the collar turned out!  The other small collar has a aquamarine blue Swarovski cabochon.  The frosted glass leaves to the side are also vintage, very unique.

I had great fun creating these collars. They are currently on view at Artist Collaborative Gallery in Sacramento.




The bottom necklace is Ocean Jasper surrounded by champagne button pearls.  Poor photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment